Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
>> Yeah, I think I agree.  It would be bad to disable it by default on Unix,
>> because ps(1) is a very standard tool there, but the same argument doesn't
>> hold for Windows.
>
> It seems that we could reach a consensus.  The patch is attached.  I'll add this to the next CommitFest.
>
>> Another route to a solution would be to find a cheaper way to update the
>> process title on Windows ... has anyone looked for alternatives?
>
> I couldn't find an alternative solution after asking some Windows support staff.
>
> Regards
> Takayuki Tsunakawa

Shouldn't we change the code which initdb uses to create the example
postgresql.conf, so that it shows the commented out value as being
'off', when initdb is run on Windows?

Cheers,

Jeff