Re: tsearch2, large data and indexes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: tsearch2, large data and indexes
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:
On 22 April 2014 08:40, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 04/20/2014 02:15 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> More details: after thinking about it some more, it might have
>> something to do with tsearch2 and indexes: the large data in this case
>> is a tsvector, indexed with GIN, and the query plan involves a
>> re-check condition.

I think bitmap scans always insert a recheck, do to the possibility of bitmap overflow.

But that doesn't mean that it ever got triggered.  In 9.4., explain (analyze) will report on the overflows.

Yes, I've read about tsearch2 and GIN indexes and there shouldn't be a
recheck condition - but there is.
This is the query:

SELECT documents.id, title, raw_data, q, ts_rank(fts_data, q, 4) AS
rank, html_filename
            FROM documents, to_tsquery('document') AS q
            WHERE fts_data @@ q
         ORDER BY rank DESC  LIMIT 25;

And here is the explain analyze: http://explain.depesz.com/s/4xm
It clearly shows a bitmap index scan operation is immediately followed
by a recheck operation AND that the recheck operation actually does
something, because it reduces the number of records from 61 to 58
(!!!).

That could be ordinary visibility checking, not qual rechecking.

Cheers,

Jeff