Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:

> About not giving enough information -
> how much information do you want?
> If I list all my databases + source code
> of the scripts, I doubt anyone will read my mail.

Probably not if you just copied and pasted into the body of the email.

But if you provided an easy way for someone to replicate your entire
set up (including a driver to emulate the client) someone might look
into that.

> I still hope that someone will mention
> a cool way to make a picture of bottlenecks
> of my PostgreSQL database - like select * from pg_smth
> and then see what is it waiting for...

The amount of overhead of collecting that amount of timing information
would probably remove whatever the bottleneck used to be by
transferring it to the timing collector.

I bet it is mostly waiting for the connection on the other end to give
it something to do.

If not, pg_stat_statements and autoexplain could be useful.

You could try oprofile to get a more system-wide snapshot.

Cheers,

Jeff