Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should the \password tool in psql inspect password_encryption and act on it
> being 'scram'?

Not sure if it is wise to change the default fot this release.

I'm not proposing that we change the default value of password_encryption, only that \password respect whatever value it currently finds there.  But after thinking about it a bit more, I reached the same conclusion that Joe did, that it should use the same hashing method as the current password does, and only consult password_encryption if there is no password currently set.

A patch among those lines would be a simple, do people feel that this
should be part of PG 10?

I think it is pretty important to have some way of setting the password that doesn't risk it ending up in the server log file, or .psql_history, or having someone shoulder-surf it.

Cheers,

Jeff