Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Simple patch, applies and makes cleanly, does what it says and says what it does.
>>
>> If a transaction holding locks aborts on an otherwise idle server, perhaps it will take a very long time for a
log-shippingstandby to realize this.  But I have hard time believing that anyone who cares about that would be using
log-shipping(rather than streaming) anyway.

>> Marking it ready for committer.
>>
>> The new status of this patch is: Ready for Committer
>
> Thanks! That was deadly fast.
>
> Just wondering: shouldn't we keep the discussion around this patch on
> -bugs instead? Not saying you are wrong, Jeff, I am just not sure what
> would be the best practice regarding patches related to bugs. I would
> think that it is at least necessary to keep the person who reported
> the bug in CC to let him know the progress though.

I wasn't sure about -bugs vs -hackers either, but in this case I used
the review form built into the commit-fest app, and the app is what
sent the email.  As far as I know I can't change its destination or
its CC list, even if I had thought ahead to do so.

I think the bug reporter should certainly be CCed when the bug is
closed, I don't know about intermediate steps in the "sausage making"
process.  Something to think about for a bug-tracker we might
implement in the future.  I think most bugs are summarily handled by
committers, so don't go through the commitfest process at all.

Cheers,

Jeff