Re: [GENERAL] Confused about max_standby_streaming_delay - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Confused about max_standby_streaming_delay
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:16 AM, Robert Inder <robert@interactive.co.uk> wrote:

On 6 September 2017 at 20:47, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:

Have I misunderstood something?  Or is Postgres not actually configured the way I think it is?

The standby will wait for ten minutes to obtain the lock it wishes to obtain.  In 9.4, if something other than dump of database b was already blocking it for 8 minutes before the dump starts, then the dump of database b will only have 2 minutes, not 10, before it gets cancelled.

Hmmmm...
You're saying that the time for dumping database b may be spent 8 minutes waiting on a lock then 2 minutes actually dumping.

No, I'm saying that maybe the replay process was already waiting for something else for 8 minutes before the pg_dump of database b even attempted to start.  So it would be cancelled after 2 minutes.

Are these database a, database b, etc. different databases in the same postgres instance (CREATE DATABASE A) or are they entirely different postgres instances (initdb -D /opt/database_a)?  Your original description of different unix users with different installations made me think the 2nd case is the one, but just want to make sure.

Cheers,

Jeff