Re: [HACKERS] CREATE/ALTER ROLE PASSWORD ('value' USING 'method') - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CREATE/ALTER ROLE PASSWORD ('value' USING 'method')
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:59 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/2017 08:29 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
>>> here is a separate thread dedicated to the following extension for
>>> CREATE/ALTER ROLE: PASSWORD ('value' USING 'method').
>>
>> The parentheses seem weird ... do we really need those?
>
> +1

Seeing 3 opinions in favor of that, let's do so then. I have updated
the patch to not use parenthesis.

The regression tests only exercise the CREATE ROLE...USING version, not the ALTER ROLE...USING version.

+        and <literal>plain</> for an non-hashed password.  If the password
+        string is already in MD5-hashed or SCRAM-hashed, then it is
+        stored hashed as-is.

In the last line, I think "stored as-is" sounds better.

Other than that, it looks good to me.

Cheers,

Jeff