Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

The current bgwriter_lru_maxpages value limits the background writer
to a maximum of 4MB/s.  If one imagines shared_buffers = 8GB, that
starts to seem rather low, but I don't have a good feeling for what a
better value would be.

I don't quite understand the point of bgwriter_lru_maxpages in the first place.  What is it supposed to protect us from?

I wonder if that isn't an artefact from when the checkpointer was the same process as the background writer, to prevent the background writer functionality from starving the checkpointer functionality.

Cheers,

Jeff