Re: Clarity Bug for Schema Permissions, Potential Vulnerability? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Clarity Bug for Schema Permissions, Potential Vulnerability?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:47 AM Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr.shulgin@zalando.de> wrote:
I'm wondering if we could provide a more helpful error message in this case, something along the lines of:

DETAIL: 'usage' permission required on schema 'test_schema'

The actual error message is not just "permission denied", it is already:

ERROR:  permission denied for schema test_schema

Given that, I don't think the additional DETAIL upon ERROR would be all that helpful.

I think a more useful change (if any) would be a NOTICE or WARNING when granting privs on a object in a schema, to a user who does not already have privs on the schema itself.  I thought there was already a similar situation, where a NOTICE was issued where a permission change was executed which didn't do anything, because it was already done.  But now I can't find.