pg_ctl reload -o "...." - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject pg_ctl reload -o "...."
Date
List pgsql-hackers
If I want to change a parameter that affects an auxiliary process
(like bgwriter), I can usually get away with doing;

pg_ctl restart -o '--setting=new'

But sometimes I really need to avoid the restart, because it blows
away shared_buffers or for other reasons.

I can do pg_ctl reload, but that ignores the -o option (without
notice).  So to go the reload route, I have to edit "postgresql.conf"
before doing the reload.  This is quite tedious and error-prone,
especially in a script.

Is there a reason pg_ctl reload shouldn't honor -o ?  Is there
reasonable avenue to get it do so?

Cheers,

Jeff