Re: temporary indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: temporary indexes?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 10/21/2015 11:43 AM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:
I couldn't find any mention of this on the archives...

Have the project maintainers ever considered extending CREATE INDEX to support "temporary" indexes like CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE?

When creating temporary tables for analytics/reporting, I've noticed that I often need to create (then drop) indexes on regular tables.  Temporary indexes seemed like a natural fit here, so i was wondering if there was any reason why they're not supported (other than no one wanted it!)

Something like this?:

aklaver@test=> create temporary table temp_test(id int, fld_1 varchar);
CREATE TABLE

aklaver@test=> create index temp_idx on temp_test(fld_1);
CREATE INDEX

I think he means more like:

create temporary table temp_test(id int, fld_1 varchar);
create temporary index on permanent_table (fld_1);

select something from temp_test join permanent_table using (fld_1) where a=b;
select something_else from temp_test join permanent_table using (fld_1) where c=d;

Cheers,

Jeff