Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:

> I was also thinking about that. Basically a primary method and a
> fallback. If that were the case, a gradual transition could happen, and
> if we want \password to enforce best practice it would be ok.

Why exactly would anyone want "md5 only"?  I should think that "scram
only" is a sensible pg_hba setting, if the DBA feels that md5 is too
insecure, but I do not see the point of "md5 only" in 2017.  I think
we should just start interpreting that as "md5 or better".

Without md5-only, a user who uses \password to change their password from a newer client would lock themselves out of connecting again from older clients.  As a conscious decision (either of the DBA or the user) that would be OK, but to have it happen by default would be unfortunate.

Cheers,

Jeff