Re: Checkpoints vs restartpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Checkpoints vs restartpoints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi

Why do standby servers not simply treat every checkpoint as a
restartpoint?  As I understand it, setting checkpoint_timeout and
checkpoint_segments higher on a standby server effectively instruct
standby servers to skip some checkpoints.  Even with the same settings
on both servers, the server could still choose to skip a checkpoint
near the checkpoint_timeout limit due to the vagaries of time keeping
(though I suppose it's very unlikely).  But what could the advantage
of skipping checkpoints be?  Do people deliberately set hot standby
machines up like this to trade a longer crash recover time for lower
write IO?

When a hot standby server is initially being set up using a rather old base backup and an archive directory, it could be applying WAL at a very high rate such that it would replay master checkpoints multiple times a second (when the master has long periods with little write activity and has checkpoints driven by timeouts during those periods).  Actually doing restartpoints that often could be annoying.  Presumably there would be few dirty buffers to write out, since each checkpoint saw little activity, but you would still have to circle the shared_buffers twice, and fsync whichever files did happen to get some changes.

Cheers,

Jeff