Re: Parallel query execution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Parallel query execution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Gavin Flower (GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz) wrote:
> How about being aware of multiple spindles - so if the requested
> data covers multiple spindles, then data could be extracted in
> parallel. This may, or may not, involve multiple I/O channels?

Yes, this should dovetail with partitioning and tablespaces to pick up
on exactly that.

I'd rather not have the benefits of parallelism be tied to partitioning if we can help it.  Hopefully implementing parallelism in core would result in something more transparent than that.

Cheers,

Jeff