Re: lock contention, need profiling idea - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: lock contention, need profiling idea
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM, AI Rumman <rummandba@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see lots of similar log message at a certain time in a day on Postgresql
>> 9,.1:
>>
>> LOG:  process 18855 still waiting for ShareLock on transaction 2856146023
>> after 1001.209 ms
>> STATEMENT:  UPDATE table1 SET time = $1 WHERE id = $2
>>
>> The table1 size is 17 G.
>>
>> What could be the reason for this lock contention?
>> autovacuum?
>
> This may be a CREATE INDEX query taking some time, perhaps combined with an
> old prepared transaction still holding a lock? Perhaps a cron job running
> behind that you are not aware of?

Wouldn't that be waiting on the table, not the transaction?  I think
transaction lock waits are (almost?) always due to tuples, so "FOR
UPDATE", UPDATE, etc.

> You should have a look at pg_stat_activity, pg_prepared_xacts and pg_locks
> to get more information about the transactions running and the locks being
> taken.

In 9.4, the log message will also include info on the blocking
process, not just the blocked process, for lock waits.

But until then, pg_stat_activity and pg_locks are the best bet.
Unless you can afford to turn log_statement to 'all' and dig through
the resulting mess.

Cheers,

Jeff