Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Brusselback
Subject Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?
Date
List pgsql-general
>It is not difficult to simulate column store in a row store system if
>you're willing to decompose your tables into (what is essentially)
>BCNF fragments.  It simply is laborious for designers and programmers.

I could see a true column store having much better performance than tricking a row based system into it.  Just think of the per-row overhead we currently have at 28 bytes per row.  Breaking up data manually like that may help a little, but if you don't have a very wide table to begin with, it could turn out you save next to nothing by doing so.  A column store wouldn't have this issue, and could potentially have much better performance.