Re: .dmp files in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alpha Beta
Subject Re: .dmp files in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
While you say, I opened the file with bloc note and I noticed that it's not a binary file but plain with SQL commands and so on.
I tried what you said also but didn't work.
Any suggestion? or maybe the commands I'm using doesn't find the path for the 2 files?

2011/11/25 Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>
On 25 November 2011 20:04, Alpha Beta <dzjitaru@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have got two files (template1.dmp, example1.dmp) and I want to open them
> in postgresql, I tried the following commands:
> - Import template1 :
>     * createdb -U postgres template1
>     * psql -U postgres template1 < template1.dmp
> - Create the sample of the database:
>     * createdb -U postgres example1
>     * psql -U postgres example1 < example1.dmp
> I've got no error reported by postgres but nothing happened either.
> How should I proceed exactly? Sorry I'm a newbie with PostgreSQL :)

I'm assuming this is a custom-format file, which is a binary file.
You need to use pg_restore to restore the file:

For example:

pg_restore -d example1 example1.dmp

This is because the file is no in plain format.  Read the
documentation for more information on the output of pg_dump:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pgdump.html

Regards

Thom