Bad query? Or planner? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Devin Smith
Subject Bad query? Or planner?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have recently started using postgres and have been operating under the assumption that the query planner knows best (as long as I don't do anything too stupid). I've been structuring my queries (and data) in a certain way: writing re-usable subqueries, joining them in as necessary, and only filtering the query at the top level (assuming that the query planner will push down the appropriate restrictions as necessary). Of course, also keeping in mind proper indexes to support efficient joins and sorts.

I recently wrote a query that I thought was easy to reason about, and I assumed the query planner would execute it efficiently.

SELECT * FROM xtag_stack_feed
JOIN (
  SELECT DISTINCT ON (do_post_xtag.xtag_ci) *
  FROM do_post_xtag
  JOIN do_post ON do_post.rc_id=do_post_xtag.post_rc_id
  ORDER BY do_post_xtag.xtag_ci ASC, do_post_xtag.post_rc_id DESC) last_post
ON last_post.xtag_ci=xtag_stack_feed.xtag_ci
ORDER BY decayed_to_base DESC
LIMIT 1;

Unfortunately, the query as written is not being executed efficiently. I tried to rewrite it in a couple different ways without success, and then learned about lateral joins. Rewritten as follows, it executes efficiently.

SELECT * FROM xtag_stack_feed
JOIN LATERAL (
  SELECT DISTINCT ON (do_post_xtag.xtag_ci) *
  FROM do_post_xtag
  JOIN do_post ON do_post.rc_id=do_post_xtag.post_rc_id
  WHERE do_post_xtag.xtag_ci=xtag_stack_feed.xtag_ci
  ORDER BY do_post_xtag.xtag_ci ASC, do_post_xtag.post_rc_id DESC) last_post
ON true
ORDER BY decayed_to_base DESC
LIMIT 1;

From my naive perspective, it seems like the second query is semantically equivalent to the first; it just has the join condition moved into the subquery as a WHERE filter.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there room for query planner improvement in cases like these?

I've attached the EXPLAIN ANALYZEs. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
-Devin

Attachment