Re: pg full text search very slow for Chinese characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cory Nemelka
Subject Re: pg full text search very slow for Chinese characters
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 10:11 AM Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com> wrote:
>My postgres instance is based on docker image postgres:11 and runs on my MacBook Pro i7 16GB.

How much ram and such did you give to this vm?

>To my surprise, postgres 11 is extremely slow when creating a full text index. I added a column of tsvector type and tried to create an index on that column. Pg could not finish creating a GIN index for a long time and I had to cancel the execution.I then tried to create a partial full text index for 500 rows and it took postgres 2 to 3 minutes to create the index.

Did you customize any config? maintenance_work_mem specifically would be relevant to the time to create an index and default value is only 64MB. Especially if you are running a spinning hard drive and not ssd, then this could be problematic.

I apologize for my top post. :D Won't happen again