Is it possible to create an index without keeping the indexed data in a column? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Larry White
Subject Is it possible to create an index without keeping the indexed data in a column?
Date
Re: Is it possible to create an index without keeping the indexed data in a column?  (David G Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I would like to create a GIN index on a set of JSON documents. Right now I'm storing the data in a JSONB column. The current index looks like this:

CREATE INDEX document_payload_idx
  ON document
  USING gin
  (payload jsonb_path_ops);

The index is pretty small, but the actual data takes up a lot of space. Is there a way to get Postgres to index the table as if the JSON were there, but not actually put the data in the table? I could either store the docs elsewhere and keep a reference, or compress them and put them in the table in compressed form as a blob.

Thanks much for your help.

Larry