Re: Very Limited Toast Compression on JSONB (9.4 beta 2) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Larry White
Subject Re: Very Limited Toast Compression on JSONB (9.4 beta 2)
Date
List pgsql-general
Reported as bug #11109.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Larry White <ljw1001@gmail.com> wrote:
Jeff,

Thank you for your help. This is a Postgres bug, but I don't think I'd have figured it out without your help.

What is happening is that if PG can, after compression, put the entire 'document' into one row/page in the toast table it does. However, if the document is too big to fit in one row after compression, it does no compression at all.  This is why it worked for you, but not for me.

I create my test file (in part) with this loop:

        for (int j = 0; j < 110; j++) {
            mediumPayload.getJunk().add("124245etweetwet345gwtretwt43 qwrqwq qwre qw rsdflkas");
            mediumPayload.getJunk().add("q4535 wqrqwrqwrqw2 wrqwrqwrq32232w kswe sfasrs sdfsd");
        }

if the loop runs 110 times as shown, it compresses.
if the loop runs 111 times, it does not:

With 110 iterations:
Extended      8192 bytes  (one page)
External           66 MB

With 111 iterations:
Extended      69 MB
External        69 MB

Hopefully they can fix this before the GA release.