Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Guo
Subject Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 3:03 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 1:42 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
BTW, why is it that it seems to prefer to remove the first of
the two self-joined rels, rather than the second?  That seems
jarringly bizarre.

Hmm, I'm not sure either.  Alexander and Andrei, could you please share
your insights?

BTW, while reading the codes, I noticed this commit of
remove_self_joins_recurse.

* ... To avoid complexity, limit the max power of this set by a GUC.

But where is the GUC?   I guess that it refers to
self_join_search_limit, which has been removed during development.

So we should revise this commit to at least remove any mention of the
GUC.  Maybe it'd better to add a new commit explaining why we are not
concerned about cases where the number of self joins is too large.

Thanks
Richard