Re: BUG #17768: Assert triggered on initsplan.c - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard Guo
Subject Re: BUG #17768: Assert triggered on initsplan.c
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 5:13 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 3:34 PM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      17768
Logged by:          Robins Tharakan
Email address:      tharakan@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 15.1
Operating system:   Ubuntu 20.04

This assert() is not easily reproducible, but thought may be of interest.
Can provide full backtrace, if required.

Git: 253432f426@master
OS: Ubuntu 20.04

TRAP: failed Assert("j->jointype == JOIN_INNER"), File: "initsplan.c", Line:
1206, PID: 3285978

Thanks for the report!  I can reproduce this issue with the following
query.

create table t1(a int);
create table t2(a int);
create table t3(a int);
create table t4(a int);
create table t5(a int);

select * from t1, lateral (select * from t2 inner join t3 on t1.a = 1 inner join (t4 right join t5 on true) on true) as sub;

There is something wrong about postponing quals.  We are supposed to
postpone quals only from children to their parent nodes.  But here in
deconstruct_distribute we scan all the jointree nodes in depth-first
traversal order and any quals postponed by left children may be checked
against right children.  If the right subtree is an outer join as in
this example, the assertion would be triggered.

To fix this issue, I'm considering that we can add two types of info in
JoinTreeItem for each jointree node, one is the jointree's children, and
one is the list of quals that need to be postponed at this join level.
Thus in deconstruct_distribute we can process the quals postponed by
children.

Attach a draft patch (with no tests, no comments, no formats yet) to
show what I'm thinking.

Thanks
Richard
Attachment