Re: Backfill bgworker Extension? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeremy Finzel
Subject Re: Backfill bgworker Extension?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 12/12/17 13:03, Jeremy Finzel wrote:
> To be clear, what I mean is batch updating a large set of data in small
> pieces so as to avoid things like lock contention and replication lags.
> Sometimes these have a driving table that has the source data to update
> in a destination table based on a key column, but sometimes it is
> something like setting just a single specific value for a huge table.
>
> I would love instead to have a Postgres extension that uses postgres
> background workers to accomplish this, especially if it were part of
> core.  Before I venture into exploring writing something like this as an
> extension, would this ever be considered something appropriate as an
> extension in Postgres core?  Would that be appropriate?

I don't see what the common ground between different variants of this
use case would be.  Aren't you basically just looking to execute a
use-case-specific stored procedure in the background?

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

The common ground is some column in some table needs to be bulk updated. I may not be explaining well, but in our environment we have done hundreds of these using a generic framework to build a backfill. So I’m not sure what you are questioning about the need? We have had to build a worker to accomplish this because it can’t be done as a sql script alone.

I’m not sure what you mean by a stored procedure in the background. Since it would not be a single transaction, it doesn’t fit as a stored procedure at least in Postgres when a function is 1 transaction.

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Jeremy