Re: Generated column is not updated (Postgres 13) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Vitaly Ustinov
Subject Re: Generated column is not updated (Postgres 13)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
In a BEFORE trigger (PL/pgSQL) I can access not yet computed generated
columns via the "NEW" whole-row var. I can read from it (NULL), and I
can write to it, but the assigned value will be ignored.

This behavior seems obvious and well thought through to me. It's not
something app developers should do, because it wouldn't make sense,
but at least it's not forbidden and the server process does not crash
with a seg fault.

Is it okay with you that the patch 0002 introduces some inconsistency with that?

Regards,
Vitaly