Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
Date
Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
List pgsql-hackers
(resending to list and other CC:s )

Hi Tom

This is my current patch which also adds running % and optionally uses
faster way to count leading zeros, though I did not  see a change from
that.

It also bucketizes first 128 ns to get better overview of exact behaviour.

We may want to put reporting this behind a flag

---
Hannu

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 6:36 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> [...]
> Per loop time including overhead: 901.41 ns
> Histogram of timing durations:
>   < us   % of total      count
>      1     10.46074     348148
>      2     89.51495    2979181
>      4      0.00574        191
>      8      0.00430        143
>     16      0.00691        230
>     32      0.00376        125
>     64      0.00012          4
>    128      0.00303        101
>    256      0.00027          9
>    512      0.00009          3
>   1024      0.00009          3
>
> I also modified pg_test_timing to measure nanoseconds not
> microseconds (second patch attached), and got this:
>
> $ ./pg_test_timing
> Testing timing overhead for 3 seconds.
> Per loop time including overhead: 805.50 ns
> Histogram of timing durations:
>   < ns   % of total      count
>      1     19.84234     739008
>      2      0.00000          0
>      4      0.00000          0
>      8      0.00000          0
>     16      0.00000          0
>     32      0.00000          0
>     64      0.00000          0
>    128      0.00000          0
>    256      0.00000          0
>    512      0.00000          0
>   1024     80.14013    2984739
>   2048      0.00078         29
>   4096      0.00658        245
>   8192      0.00290        108
>  16384      0.00252         94
>  32768      0.00250         93
>  65536      0.00016          6
> 131072      0.00185         69
> 262144      0.00008          3
> 524288      0.00008          3
> 1048576      0.00008          3
>
> confirming that when the result changes it generally does so by 1usec.
>
> Applying just the second patch, I find that clock_gettime on this
> old hardware seems to be limited to 1us resolution, but on my more
> modern machines (mac M1, x86_64) it can tick at 40ns or less.
> Even a raspberry pi 4 shows
>
> $ ./pg_test_timing
> Testing timing overhead for 3 seconds.
> Per loop time including overhead: 69.12 ns
> Histogram of timing durations:
>   < ns   % of total      count
>      1      0.00000          0
>      2      0.00000          0
>      4      0.00000          0
>      8      0.00000          0
>     16      0.00000          0
>     32      0.00000          0
>     64     37.59583   16317040
>    128     62.38568   27076131
>    256      0.01674       7265
>    512      0.00002          8
>   1024      0.00000          0
>   2048      0.00000          0
>   4096      0.00153        662
>   8192      0.00019         83
>  16384      0.00001          3
>  32768      0.00001          5
>
> suggesting that the clock_gettime resolution is better than 64 ns.
>
> So I concur with Hannu that it's time to adjust pg_test_timing to
> resolve nanoseconds not microseconds.  I gather he's created a
> patch that does more than mine below, so I'll wait for that.

Attachment