Re: pgbench logging broken by time logic changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: pgbench logging broken by time logic changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 7:18 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure we have transaction lasts for very short time that
> nanoseconds matters.

Nanoseconds may not matter yet, but they could be handy when for
example we want to determine the order of parallel query executions.

We are less than an order of magnitude away from being able to do 1M
inserts/updates/deletes per second, so microseconds already are not
always 100% reliable.

We could possibly move to using LSNs fetched as part of the queries
for this case, but this will surely introduce more problems than it
solves :)

Cheers
-----
Hannu Krosing
Google Cloud - We have a long list of planned contributions and we are hiring.
Contact me if interested.