Re: Middleware Messages for FE/BE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Middleware Messages for FE/BE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jesper, please don't confuse my ramblings with Simon's initial proposal.

As I understand, the original proposal was just about adding a new
wire protocol message type, which then could be used for emitting
custom messages by middleware support extension - likely loaded as a
preloaded shared library - and consumed by some middleware, which
could either be some proxy or connection pooler or something compiled
as part of the libpq, JDBC or other client driver. So it was just
about providing extensibility to the protocol (the same way almost
everything else in PostgreSQL is extensible).

But at least initially each middleware would process only it's own
class, so a single if() and not a big switch/case :)

The things I talked about were some forward-looking proposals on how
to use this capability and that some of the messages may at some point
become used / usable by more than a single middleware component at
which point they should be standardised .

-----
Hannu Krosing
Google Cloud - We have a long list of planned contributions and we are hiring.
Contact me if interested.