Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
Date
Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
List pgsql-hackers
We currently do something similar with OIDs where we just keep
generating them and then testing for conflicts.

I don't think this is the best way to do it but it mostly works when
you can actually test for uniqueness, like for example in TOAST or
system tables.

Not sure this works even reasonably well for UUIDv7.

--
Hannu

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 12:38 PM Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> > On 3 Jul 2024, at 13:48, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> That’s a very interesting result, from the UUID POV!
> >> If time is almost always advancing, using time readings instead of a counter is very reasonable: we have
interprocessmonotonicity almost for free.