Nicely exiting PG_TRY and PG_CATCH - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mikhail Gribkov
Subject Nicely exiting PG_TRY and PG_CATCH
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

I've found some odd lines in plpython-related code. These look to me like a potential source of problems, but maybe I'm not fully aware of some nuances.

Usually it's not a good idea to exit PG_TRY() block via return statement. Otherwise it would leave PG_exception_stack global variable in a wrong state and next ereport() will jump to some junk address. But here it is a straight return in plpy_exec.c:
PG_TRY();
{
    args = PyList_New(proc->nargs);
    if (!args)
        return NULL;

Two more cases could be found further in the same file:

Isn't it a problem?

Another suspicious case is PG_CATCH block in jsonb_plpython.c:
PG_CATCH();
{
    ereport(ERROR,
        (errcode(ERRCODE_DATATYPE_MISMATCH),
         errmsg("could not convert value \"%s\" to jsonb", str)));
}

The problem is that  leaving PG_CATCH() without PG_RE_THROW(), ReThrowError() or FlushErrorState() will consume an errordata stack slot, while the stack size is only 5. Do this five times and we'll have a PANIC on the next ereport().
As it's stated in elog.c (comment about the error stack depth at the beginning of FlushErrorState()), "The only case where it would be more than one deep is if we serviced an error that interrupted construction of another message."
Looks to me that  FlushErrorState() should be inserted before this ereport. Shouldn't it?

--
 best regards,
    Mikhail A. Gribkov