Re: Regression tests fail with tzdata 2024b - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sven Klemm
Subject Re: Regression tests fail with tzdata 2024b
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 4:15 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Wolfgang Walther <walther@technowledgy.de> writes:
> The core regression tests need to be run with a timezone that tests
> special cases in the timezone handling code. But that might not be true
> for extensions - all they want could be a stable output across major and
> minor versions of postgres and versions of tzdata. It could be helpful
> to set pg_regress' timezone to UTC, for example?

I would not recommend that choice.  It would mask simple errors such
as failing to apply the correct conversion between timestamptz and
timestamp values.  Also, if you have test cases that are affected by
this issue at all, you probably have a need/desire to test things like
DST transitions.

As far as I'm aware timescaledb does not rely on specifics of tzdata version but just needs a stable setting for timezone. I guess I'll adjust our tests to not depend on upstream pg_regress timezone.

--
Regards, Sven Klemm