Re: .pgpass being ignored - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rebecca Clarke
Subject Re: .pgpass being ignored
Date
List pgsql-general
I could be wrong, but shouldn't the owner of .pgpass be postgres?

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Ziggy Skalski <zskalski@afilias.info> wrote:
On 13-06-21 06:19 PM, Stephen Rasku wrote:
I am trying to write a script that will create and populate a
database.  I don't want to enter a password every time so I want to
use a .pgpass file.  It has the correct permissions:

     $ ls -l $PGPASSFILE
     -rw-------  1 Stephen  staff  43 21 Jun 14:48 /Users/Stephen/.pgpass

However, when I call createdb, it fails:

     $ createdb -h 192.168.1.4 -U postgres --no-password JobSearch
     createdb: could not connect to database postgres: fe_sendauth: no
password supplied

This is the contents of my .pgpass file:

     192.168.1.4:5432:DatabaseName:postgres:thisIsTheCorrectPassword

If I omit the --no-password option it will prompt me for a password
and the command will succeed.  I am using 9.0.10 from MacPorts.

What am I doing wrong?

...Stephen

Hi,

Just going from a personal experience, have you tried to open the .pgpass file in vi and made sure there's no trailing spaces in your pgpass entry?  That bit me once before :)

Ziggy