Re: Could not read block of temporary files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From R Clarke
Subject Re: Could not read block of temporary files
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm using Postgresql 9.1.15

It didn't succeed, which is why the message is confusing. The table was not created. It runs for about 10 minutes and then this error comes up.

I tried reindexing the tables but that didn't help.

This is the query:

create table lu_addresses as
SELECT
   distnct(l.id),
   l.start_number,
   s.street,
   s.locality,
   b.postcode,
   case when o.organisation != '' then o.organisation || ', ' else '' end as organisation,
   b.the_geom,
   b.status,
FROM
   buildings AS b,
   streets AS s,
   land AS l full outer join orgnisation AS o on (l.id = o.id)
WHERE b.id = l.id
AND l.id = s.id

I ended up cutting the query right down to basics and found the culprit to be the the_geom field which is a geometry datatype.

I had 8GB of memory and my postgres config set to:

shared_buffers = 2GB
effective_cache_size = 6GB
work_mem = 16MB
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB

After running pgtune, specifying I had 7GB memory, I changed the config to:

shared_buffers = 1920MB
effective_cache_size = 5632MB
work_mem = 48MB
maintenance_work_mem = 480MB

I've rerun the query and now I no longer get the error.