Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alicja Kucharczyk
Subject Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances
Date
Re: New Oracle system in our house, migration chances  (Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>)
List pgsql-admin
czw., 13 sty 2022 o 13:26 Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> napisał(a):
Hi All, HPNY 2022

We acquired a new company, those guys run on Oracle 10, on AIX 5.2, both systems dating to around 2006 or so.
We would like to increase our chances of recovery in case of disaster, since those are unsupported versions of Oracle/AIX AFAIK.
The application is written on powerbuilder.

The ppl in the respective IT dept claim they have no exotic SQL inside powerbuilder. I am almost 21 years into PostgreSQL, I have done some MS SQL integration with PostgreSQL but almost no Oracle
experience since 90's. What are my options here?

A)
1) use a tool like ora2pg and try to migrate the schema
2) try to load the data
3) migrate ORACLE code procedures and triggers (about 50 in total)
4) setup and test the app
or
B)
1) use a layer that provides DB code (procedures/triggers) compatibility and/or DDL compatibility
2) use a tool to move/migrate the schema and load data
3) setup and test the app

Any hints where to start, technical options, help to evaluate/assess various solutions/costs would be welcome.

I know this has been discussed extensively in PgSQL community, my intention is for this email to provide a platform along with my concurrent/parallel reading on the matter.

Thank you

--
Achilleas Mantzios
DBA, Analyst, IT Lead

Hi Achilleas,
I would go with version B - since as I understand it's ISV solution. Meaning the postgres ddl was tested and aligned with the application layer, otherwise you would need to fix app layer after the migration.