Re: Default custom format for specific columns? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Aditya Toshniwal
Subject Re: Default custom format for specific columns?
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi Dave,

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 9:16 PM Dave Caughey <caugheyd@gmail.com> wrote:
In my databases, timestamps are stored as longs (epoch millis).

Consequently, when I do a query or view table, I always end up with values like 1612106244000, rather than a more readable format of "2021-01-31 15:17:24".

Yes, I realize I can do "to_timestamp(cast(mytimestamp/1000 as bigint))::timestamp" in a SELECT to convert "mytimestamp" to a human-readable form, but it means I have to hand-compose all my queries rather than being able to use all the convenient "View/Edit Data..." functions.

I'm wondering if there is a way to assign a conversion/formatting function (like the above) to specific table columns, e.g., by expanding the table's columns and editing the properties, so that whenever you do a view/edit data, it actually implements a  "to_timestamp(cast(mytimestamp/1000 as bigint))::timestamp" for the "mytimestamp" column?

If not, I'm happy to create a RM enhancement request.
Currently, there is no such option. You can raise the RM for the team to discuss on it and decide the priority.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Thanks,