convert real to numeric. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alessandro Aste
Subject convert real to numeric.
Date
Re: convert real to numeric.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

Postresql version: 10.5

I need to convert an SQL field from real to numeric, but I’m getting a strange behavior.

See the following query in preprod:

select amount, amount::numeric, amount::numeric(16,4), amount::varchar::numeric from mytable where id = 32560545;

Result:

17637.75, 17637.8, 17637.8000, 17637.75

As you can see, the conversion to ::numeric is truncating the number to just 1 decimal digit.

Also we tried to  change the schema definition of this table, from real to numeric, and the value was truncated.

Is the ::varchar::numeric workaround a good option in your opinion? Any other ideas to fix this issue?

Thank you,