Re: postgres maintenance db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ondrej Ivanič
Subject Re: postgres maintenance db
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 27 July 2012 08:07, hartrc <rhart2@mt.gov> wrote:
> What is the purpose of the postgres database? I try and drop it and get
> "maintenance database can't be dropped" error.

'postgres' database is something like 'mysql' database in MySQL.
You should be able to see additional database like 'template0' and 'template1'

> Should I create a separate database that has all my application schemas in
> it and let the postgres database be stand-alone, or should I put my
> application schemas inside the postgres database?

You should create your own database (as many as you need) and create
all schemas/tables/... there.
See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/manage-ag-createdb.html
-- you can use "CREATE DATABASE" or createdb command.

> I didn't really want my database to be called postgres, can it be renamed?

That's the system database let it be.

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)