Re: How hard would a "path" operator be to implement in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ondrej Ivanič
Subject Re: How hard would a "path" operator be to implement in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 20 August 2012 11:28, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been reading up on object-relational features of Oracle and DB2 and
> found that one of the big things they have that we don't is a path operator.
> The idea is that you can use the path operator to follow some subset of
> foreign keys called refs.

<snip>

> Any thoughts?  If it can be done in plain SQL and inlined that would be
> ideal but in the prototyping state, that isn't so important and I expect
> that it is not.

You should look at ltree:
This module implements a data type ltree for representing labels of
data stored in a hierarchical tree-like structure. Extensive
facilities for searching through label trees are provided.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/ltree.html

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com)