Re: large database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ondrej Ivanič
Subject Re: large database
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 11 December 2012 07:26, Mihai Popa <mihai@lattica.com> wrote:
> First, the project has been started using MySQL. Is it worth switching
> to Postgres and if so, which version should I use?

You should to consider several things:
- do you have in-depth MySQL knowledge in you team?
- do you need any sql_mode "features"?
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/server-sql-mode.html)
- do you need flexible, easy to setup and monitor replication?
- do you need multi-master?
- do you need REPLACE / INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE / INSERT
IGNORE syntax?
- do you need many connections to your database w/o deploying / using
load balancer?
- do you need something which is MySQL only?
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/compatibility.html)

If you have 4 or more 'yes' then I would stick with MySQL...

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(http://www.linkedin.com/in/ondrejivanic)