Designing a DB for storing biological data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Damir Dezeljin
Subject Designing a DB for storing biological data
Date
Re: Designing a DB for storing biological data
Re: Designing a DB for storing biological data
List pgsql-general
Hello.

This is more a theoretical or better to say, conceptual question; still, I hope to get some feed backs from you folks. Additionally this is going to be a very long post :) off-topic: I asked a similar question on the MySQL forum as I'm still undecided if going with PostgreSQL or MySQL << I'm tempted at PostGIS.

I am designing a database for storing various biological and ecological data. Although there is no clear dividing line, it is possible to group the data into two groups, namely the measured (physical) and quantitative (mostly biological) data; I uploaded both a data sample and an initial draft of a DB model to this link.

From the mentioned sample, it is evident the following difference between the two:
Biological / quantitative data
  • The data are actually numbers of occurrences of a specific type of items, namely animal and plant spices. The counting is done by following a predefined method as e.g. number of samples per 100 m^2.
  • One sampling is
  • A sampling consist of counting multiple species on a single day, predefined location, by following a predefined method. Please note the counting may repeat multiple time for a single species using the same or a different method.
  • A typical number of different species counted per sampling is something between 15 and 100.
  • Data are mostly quantitative, which means consisting mostly of integers numbers; however, this does not apply to all cases.

Measured / physical data
  • This data comprise from e.g. a set of measured physical quantities such as temperature, salinity, DI, etc. (usually up to 15 or 20 quantities). These measurements are performed on samples of waters taken from different depths at a predefined location on a predefined date and time. Although the samples of water from different depth on a single location are taken a couple of minutes apart one from another, it would help tracking them as a single profile, which basically consists of data of analyzed samples from a single location at a specific time.
  • Most data are decimal numbers of certain precision - e.g. if the instrument provides accurate information to the first decimal place, it has to be stored with precision up to the first decimal place. Contrary, the salinity from the mentioned example available at the link above is measured accurately to the third decimal place, so it makes sense to store it and make it possible to retrieve the number accurate to the third decimal place.
    I was also considering storing depth as a NUMERIC to avoid inexactness when dealing with REAL or DOUBLE -> from MySQL I have a concern two FLOAT-s (REAL in PostgreSQL) being 3.4 can't be compared in a quely like value1 = value2 -> e.g. "... WHERE depth = 3.4;".
    Am I missing something or is there a better solution how to address such cases?

General notes
  • Physical quantities may be outside the detection range of the measured instrument; in such a case, this needs to be recorded. I still do not have a clear idea how to do it. NULL’s do not seem to be a good choice to mark such data.
  • Different quantities are measured with different precision - e.g. counted quantities don’t have decimal places; some instruments report data with 1 decimal digit precision, other with 2, etc.
  • The only quantities that are always present with all data recorded are the depth where the sample was taken.
  • I use RESTful interface as a mean layer between the DB and the GUI.

Finally, here is my dilemma
I am somewhat undecided what is the best way to implement the database and consequently what kind of queries to use. At above link a database model I am currently working on can be found . Looking to the diagram it becomes evident I am deciding if storing every measurement / determinant / depth triple as a separate record. The biggest dilemma I have is a query for a simple sample of pressure, temperature, salinity and oxygen would imply multiple joins. As far as I know, this will badly affect the performance; as well, it will harden codding the RESTful interface.

The other option I considered and I did not discard yet is adopting tables to specific needs. In such case storing data from a CTD (Conductivity / Temperature / Depth) probe would result in a table row containing: depth, conductivity, salinity, temperature, depth. Such approach rather makes sense; however, in such a case I’ll end up with tons of tables that sometime in future may be extended with additional columns.

I would appreciate any advice and hint I receive.

Thanks and best regards,
 Damir