Passing array of range literals - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glenn Pierce
Subject Passing array of range literals
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

I am try to create a function that returns true if a timestamp is within working hours.

The function will take the following parameters.

1, timestamp - The timestamp I want to check
2, days_of_week - An array of integers that tells us what days are work days.
3, time_ranges - An array of my custom timerange type. Allows one to pass an array of hours in a day that are not work hours.
3, date_ranges - An array of daterange types. Allows one to pass say date ranges of school holidays.

Something like

CREATE TYPE timerange AS RANGE (
    subtype = TIME with time zone
);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION check_within_working_hours(ts timestamptz, days_of_week integer[], time_ranges timerange[], date_ranges daterange[])
RETURNS BOOLEAN AS $$
DECLARE passed BOOLEAN;
BEGIN

        SELECT extract(dow from $1) = ANY (days_of_week) INTO passed;

        IF passed THEN
            RETURN passed;
        END IF;

        return 'f';
END;
$$  LANGUAGE plpgsql;

I have a large table with timestamp ts and double value. I was going to call the function above like

SELECT * FROM sensor_values WHERE check_within_working_hours(ts, '{1,2,3}'::integer[], '{}'::timerange[], NULL) LIMIT 10;

This works but I have a few problems.

I cannot work out how to pass a literal for the array of timerange types.
'{(15:11:21, 18:11:21)}'::timerange[] does not work for example.
Also I can not pass NULL for this parameter I get

ERROR:  function check_within_working_hours(timestamp with time zone, integer[], unknown, unknown) is not unique

Once I can pass the parameters I need the sql to check my passed timestamp is within the array of timeranges or dateranges.
Does anyone know what the most efficient means to achieve that is ?

Also should I investigate creating this as a c function or will it be ok performance wise?

Thanks for any advice