Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM1592 - Download as CSV should be supported for DDL - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Surinder Kumar
Subject Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: RM1592 - Download as CSV should be supported for DDL
Date
List pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Surinder Kumar <surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Surinder Kumar
<surinder.kumar@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please find attached patch with fix.
>>
>> Download as CSV
>>  button should be enabled only for SELECT queries.

I'm not sure there's a way to do this without parsing the query.
Simply matching on ^select certainly won't work reliably - for
example, there could be multiple statements in the script, or it could
be PERFORM ...  or UPDATE ... RETURNING ...
I wasn't aware of such cases.

I think we need to leave the button enabled, but give the user a
message if no data is returned, e.g.
​ok.​ sure.
​I discussed the issue with Harshal and this is how download csv works:
​We just hit the url to download csv, and let the browser handle the response from the server side. we don't have access to response data to check if no data is returned.

The other approach is to hit the same query twice. First time an ajax query to check if data is returned or not. if returned, fire another query to download csv otherwise set message in message panel.
But the limitation with this approach is that we are just increasing load over server by hitting same query twice, incase returned data rows in billions.
Thoughts ?

=======
Download as CSV

The query executed did not return any data.

[OK]
========

--
Dave Page