Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:01 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> But anyway, I think we've seen enough of these to conclude that the casts
> from hstore to jsonb and back should not be implicit. I am fairly confident
> that changing that would fix your complaint and the similar one that Peter
> Geoghegan had.

Yes, it will, but I think that that will create more problems than it
will solve (which is not to suggest that an implicit cast is the right
thing). That will require that any non-trivial usage of jsonb requires
copious casting, where nested hstore does not. The hstore module
hardly contains some nice extras that a minority of jsonb users will
be interested in. It contains among other basic things, operator
classes required to index jsonb. All of my examples will still not
work, plus a bunch of cases that currently do work reasonably well.
There'll just be a different error message.

--
Peter Geoghegan