Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, if an alias is used, and you refer to an attribute using a
>> non-alias name (i.e. the original table name), then you'll already get
>> an error suggesting that the alias be used instead -- of course,
>> that's nothing new. It doesn't matter to the existing hinting
>> mechanism if the attribute name is otherwise wrong. Once you fix the
>> code to use the alias suggested, you'll then get this new
>> Levenshtein-based hint.
>
> In that case, I think I favor giving no hint at all when the RTE name
> is specified but doesn't match exactly.

I don't follow. The existing mechanism only concerns what to do when
the original table name was used when an alias should have been used
instead. What does that have to do with this patch?

--
Peter Geoghegan