Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> Even still, the fact that every
> implementation doesn't meet my standard came as a big surprise to me,
> and so I hope that the problem is limited to Mac OSX. I'm slightly
> concerned that all BSD systems are affected by this issue

I tried out my test program with FreeBSD 9.2-RC2. I linked my program
to the system libc. I explicitly set the collation to "en_US.UTF-8". I
can't see any header bytes, and that implementation meets the standard
my configure test looks for generally, so I guess this was only ever
an issue peculiar to Mac OS X (or the collations it ships with?).

I probably should have mentioned before that Windows is still broken
(I don't plan on optimizing Windows at all due to complexity around
the UTF-8 hacks on that platform, but right now the sortsupport
routine just returns NULL, which is not acceptable).

--
Peter Geoghegan