Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> new patch attached, change pushed to github.

> + /* GUC variables */
> + static bool    pretty_print_var = false;
> + #define SET_PRETTY_PRINT_VAR(x)        ((pretty_print_var) ? \
> +                                      ((x) | PrettyPrint) : (x))

I think that this is not a great idea. I think that we should do away
with the GUC, but keep the function hstore_print() so we can pretty
print that way. I don't believe that this falls afoul of the usual
obvious reasons for not varying the behavior of IO routines with a
GUC, since it only varies whitespace, but it is surely pretty
questionable to have this GUC's setting vary the output of hstore_out,
an IMMUTABLE function.

--
Peter Geoghegan