Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> Those are all very terse strings. What you're overlooking is what is
> broken by using straight Levenshtein distance, which includes things
> in the regression test that are reasonable and helpful. As I mentioned
> before, requiring a greater than 50% of total string size distance
> breaks this, just within the regression tests:

Maybe you'd prefer if there was a more gradual ramp-up to requiring a
distance of no greater than 50% of the string size (normalized to take
account of my non-default costings). Right now it's a step function of
the number of characters in the string - there is no "absolute
quality" requirement for strings of 6 or fewer requirements.
Otherwise, there is the 50% distance absolute quality test (the test
that you want to be applied generally). I think that would be better,
without being much more complicated.

--
Peter Geoghegan