Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> * We should look into using the ucol_nextSortKeyPart() API:
>
> http://userguide.icu-project.org/collation/architecture#TOC-Partial-sort-keys

Another more rich API we could immediately put to good use is the ICU
strcoll() variant that does not require NUL-terminated strings:

https://ssl.icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/ucol_8h.html#a3abc6779e6452106415918199308fab4

We do not use a NUL byte for terminating text data, and so must copy
its contents into a temp buffer, or array on the stack, all rather
inefficiently. Robert has expressed an interest in an API like this
strcoll() variant in the past [1], to avoid this unnecessary overhead.

[1] http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2012/03/perils-of-collation-aware-comparisons.html
--
Peter Geoghegan