Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Doing better at HINTing an appropriate column within errorMissingColumn()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Showing up to 2 hints is fine as it does not pollute the error output with
> perhaps unnecessary messages. That's even more protective than for example
> git that prints all the equidistant candidates. However I can't understand
> why it does not show up hints even if there are two equidistant candidates
> from the same RTE. I think it should.

Everyone is going to have an opinion on something like that. I was
showing deference to the general concern about the absolute (as
opposed to relative) quality of the HINTs in the event of equidistant
matches by having no two suggestions come from within a single RTE,
while still covering the case I thought was important by having two
suggestions if there were two equidistant matches across RTEs. I think
that's marginally better then what you propose, because your case
deals with two equidistant though distinct columns, bringing into
question the validity of both would-be suggestions. I'll defer to
whatever the consensus is.

--
Peter Geoghegan