Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: B-Tree support function number 3 (strxfrm() optimization)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> and if some opclass other than text wants to
> provide a sortsupport shim that supplies a comparator only sometimes,
> it will need its own copy of the logic.

That's true, but my proposal to do things that way reflects the fact
that text is a type oddly tied to the platform. I don't think it will
come up again (note that in the 4 byte Datum case, we still use sort
support to some degree on other platforms with patch 2 applied). It
seemed logical to impose the obligation to deal with that on
varlena.c.

--
Peter Geoghegan